Sunday, December 21, 2008

Recycled baby quilts!

Back to the meaning of my blog... cool stuff made out of recycled wool! I made a baby quilt for a friend of mine that just had a baby. It was SOOOOO much easier than the prior quilts I made (for my son & mom) for 2 reasons. One is that it was smaller, and two was that I used wool on both sides. Duh! No wonder I had so much trouble with the big ones... wool stretches & cotton sheets do not. Not only was it easier to do double sided wool, but it was more aesthetically pleasing to have 2 patterns in one. I have decided to start making these to sell (if/when I have a shop again!) after the holidays & have some gorgeous cashmeres and buttery soft lambswools set aside right now :)

The benefits of wool are endless, but these quilts (when lanolized) can serve as a piddle pad or mattress protector too. Whether lanolized or not...

"did you know that wool is:
  • Wool BattsA renewable resource
  • Reusable
  • Biodegradable
  • Fire resistant
  • Water resistant
  • Wrinkle resistant

Wool has insulating properties which keep you warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. In addition, wool can absorb up to 30% of its weight in water without feeling damp, and indeed, continues to keep you warm when it gets damp."

Enough of my yammering the praises of wool! Here is the quilt, but the quilt in real life was so much better than these pics (wasn't wonky in real life, but gave it to my friend before I could get better pics).


No comments: