Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's What I've Been Working on Wednesday! Sweat pants, hats, & mittens


My son is skinny, so it is impossible to find sweat pants that don't fall off of him. Also, I get tired of the wide selection of colors boys sweats come in... navy or red. Luckily he dislikes sweats & wears jeans most of the time, but when he has a gymnastics class or an open gym, he needs to be able to move around comfortably. Today, I made him a pair of sweat pants out of a big, lightly felted, merino sweater. I used a pair of sweat pants that don't fit him as the pattern, tweaking it where it needed tweaking (less waist, more length!). I used the collar of the sweater, folded in half, as the waistband, and I made the bottom of the pants out of the waist of the sweater, so the ribbing is built in. Jack says "they are really comfortable!" & "Mama, why are you taking pictures of my tummy?", lol. I think they turned out pretty good! Please ignore the fact that I need to take a lint brush to them ;) I think i'll try a "karate" style leg on the next pair!

All Christmas, while I worked on Christmas presents, I kept eyeballing this soft, brown, felted sweater (cashmere I am sure, but there was no tag) that was in my stash. I have mentally been making hats out of it for 2 weeks now, and finally had time (made time) to make them. I made a me, Mommy, & dolly set out of them, and even a pair of mittens. I still have to put the button flowers on the girl & doll hats.



I had a couple of requests for neutral/plain hats at the last show, so I made a black one while I was in hat mode.

I even found time (stole time) to make myself a water bottle holder, with hand strap, for my new super cool glass water bottle (I love it!). I got this bottle free with Amazon gift cards that I got from Swagbucks.


It felt good to sew leisurely again, with no deadline. So... what have you been working on? Feel free to show off your finished projects on my Facebook page :)

7 comments:

Irēna said...

I like your hats very much and a bottle holder is perfect!

Zaira said...

I plan on making some sweatpants for DS too but will be using old cotton sweaters that don't fit DH anymore. Yours look great!

Lora said...

I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your hat pattern. I've not made it yet, but I like the way it looks. Next season?

mamaTAVE said...

I don't do facebook, so I can't show you there, but this is what I've been working on in my "free" time here--sweater vests and wristwarmers: http://mamatave.blogspot.com/2010/01/baby-its-cold-outside.html
I've made a few more that I just don't have pics of yet. They are easy and very satisfying, as they help keep my little munchkin's core warm on days when I have a hard time keeping her jacket on...

Ags said...

Your son is adorable! And loved his little comments. :)) I have a skinny son with the exact same problem, ha! Thanks for the idea, you are SO creative. And I absolutely love, love, LOVE your berets!! Did you use a pattern for these or are these solely your creation? So many ideas, so little time. :)

Resweater said...

Thanks, AgsEliza! My berets were totally inspired by another blog, but I tweaked them. Here is the original tutorial for them that I posted:

http://resweater.blogspot.com/2010/02/tutorial-tuesday-recycled-wool-berets.html

I have a template I made for the circles, but I pretty much it with the headband part each time.

Heather said...

I love your berets. They turned out beautifully. I've had plans to make one since I saw one in a library book but had to put it on hold until I got all my gift making done. Now that I've seen yours I'm reminded that I wanted to try it. Thanks.

And, wow, do you ever have gorgeous sweaters in your stash!!