Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday - make your slippers non-skid the recycled way!


Ok, this is more of a concept than a tutorial, since i'm not showing you the steps, but I bet you can figure it out ;) When I was in my slipper making hay days last year, we had discussed non-skid options, and several things came up... puff paint, Jiffy grip, etc. I ended up making a trip to the craft store, and using puff paint on my grandma's slippers, and it worked fine, but I couldn't help but want a natural or recycled option. In my stash this week, I had a thickly felted alpaca scarf, and a thick merino, so I decided to make myself slippers. They are SO soft & comfy, but again the issue of non-skid came up in my mind. Finally the light bulb went off! I rummaged through the rag bag and found several pair of my son's outgrown socks with holes in the heels and cut off the non-skid words and sewed them to the bottom of my slippers! They work great (my whole house is hardwood and tile, so I know!), you can put as many on as you want, and I actually think it looks cute like that! If you don't have grippy socks in your rag stash, I see them all the time at my thrift store for pennies, or ask on Freecycle.

9 comments:

jspillane said...

fantastic idea Kris..I have been trying to think of something to do for a month now...also something I didnt think of was looking for a suede jackt at the thrift shop and useing that....Thanks for the great ideas..Jean

Irēna said...

thanks for idea!

Kasia said...

Your blog is so inspiring!

Resweater said...

Thanks! :)

Misia Pepa Adventures said...

What a great idea!

Christy said...

I made slippers from a wool sweater, too. I am not sure if I got the idea from you or not, but anyway, I used puffy paint on the soles. They were for my daughter, so I painted hearts and such on her soles. It works and it is cute. Just so you know. :)

Gena said...

This is great! Following you and adding Resweater to my blogroll.

colleen said...

great idea! i have been making lots of slippers for my son and his friends. i use the suede side of a leather coat that i bought from a thrift store.

Lora said...

I use suede. I found mine during the $1 coat sale last spring. I like your idea though. It can be challenging to sew the suede--since I also use a layer of thick felt on the inside of the sole.