Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's What I've Been Working on Wednesday!

My husband got me [us] a GPS for Christmas, so I made a little pouch for it, so it won't get scratched when I throw it in my purse. I just used a couple of scraps I had on hand, and it took me under 5 minutes to make! Front & back:



Two more pairs of Jack's jeans ended up with holes in the knees, so more patching had to me done! Jack asked for an owl on one pair & let me have creative rights to the second. I wish I would have made the owl & the background colors contrast more, but oh well!


I think this one's going to look better as the edges fray more.


I made my son's Lego table this week too.



I think it turned out great! I wish I had taken a "before" shot of the coffee table. It had crackled gold colored leather on the top, and this looks so much better! I love the style of the table, and it was the perfect size for my son's room. I had so many great suggestions for glues, but once I got to the hardware store & started reading all the labels, I kind of went pale. Everything was toxic, and the bottle that the clerk was urging me to buy said "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm". When I read it out loud, he said "those hippies in California worry about everything". I laughed, and said "and rightly so! I'm not putting this crap in my son's room!". I ended up reading all the labels, and found one with no warnings that said "non toxic", and that is what I used... Gorilla Wood Glue. It seems to be holding up with no problems, and I am more than willing to reglue, should a piece pop up in the future. It is worth the piece of mind.

May the force be with you! ;)


So, what have you been working on?

14 comments:

Naomi @ Upcycled Creatively said...

These all look fab! I LOVE the orange creature popping out of the jeans hole...my boys would love that! I am now secretly hoping they will get a hole in their jeans!

Unknown said...

Those jeans are TOO CUTE! I have to file this away for the holey jean years (I was a notorious offender as a kid).

Also, I like the little GPS holder. I'm thinking of making something similar for my ipod. Oh, and one for our soap - I got a bar of felted soap for Christmas from a coworker and LOVE it. I figured I'd cut up a few pouches out of some sweaters and make my own. Thanks for passing along all the great ideas!

Quotidian Life said...

Super cute patches and I love the lego table. What a great idea! I was thinking of a cell phone cover and iPod cover similar to what you made for your GPS.

Resweater said...

Thank you, ladies! You made my morning :).

Denise from Ark said...

That's really interesting. I had no idea that Gorilla Glue is nontoxic. Believe it - you won't have to worry one bit about anything coming up. That stuff holds like iron. One time I used it to try to glue together a piece of wood that cracked along the grain line, and I didn't do a very good job. Had to have it taken care of professionally. They couldn't get it apart and they had to completely take the mirror frame apart and replace that piece.

Resweater said...

Denise, I don't know if regular Gorilla Glue is non-toxic... this was Gorilla Wood Glue. It looks like they make several kinds of glue:

http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues.aspx

Woolcrazy... aka Karen L. Clarke said...

I love the jeans! what a clever girl!

Heidi said...

Great table--I love that it has room for the plastic bins of legos below.

Resweater said...

Thanks, Karen! :)

Heidi, I love the shelf! I just happened to have those bins too. It was like they were made for that table.

alicia said...

I LOVE the jean patches!!! I'm wondering how I can adapt them for my jeans (maybe add a little sophistication?). Great job!

Resweater said...

Alicia, I think a nice pattern would look great for adult patches... houndstooth, paisley, pinstripes, floral... all would look cool :).

house full of jays said...

Such a great idea for ripped pants! My son blows through knees like nobody's business so I could definitely use this!

lakkateh said...

Hi, I LOVE the patches you made for your son's jeans! I'm a bit of an idiot, can you walk me through how you did it? Do you sew or use glue?

Resweater said...

Hi, I sewed them on.