Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's What I've Been Working on Wednesday!



Remember these slippers by any chance? I made these last year from some thick merino, and some alpaca... heaven to my feet (link to slippers tutorial here)! To combat our slippery hardwood floors, I had added some pieces from the bottoms of my son's outgrown & holey non-skid socks (read more about that here).



Little did I know, those slippers were going to be my favorites, and I would wear them every single day for hours at a time. I didn't think of the inevitable... wearing them out! :(



Once holes appeared I knew I had to put something more than wool on the bottom, if I wanted to wear them every day. I found this sweater, and knew that the suede pockets would be perfect!



I seam ripped the pockets & elbow patches off of it, and hand sewed them to the bottoms of the slippers... much better!



Now they should last a while!

So, what have you been working on?

7 comments:

Monty Q. Kat said...

I wanted to let you know that my husband got me the 10 froggable sweater lot from your store for Christmas. I am in upcycled wool yarn heaven now!

Resweater said...

What an awesome husband! :)

Shinny said...

Are the suede bottoms slippery? I have been making slippers out of old sweaters for a while now and have debated putting leather or suede on the bottoms but thought they would be slippery. Let me know how that worked for you. Thanks. shanna.laubeanderson@gmail.com

Resweater said...

Shanna, they are not slippery at all! I would imagine leather might be slippery, but suede is very non-skid. I have almost all wood floors in my house, so I would know! :)

Mare said...

An alternative to leather bottoms or slipper sock pieces is to draw patterns on the bottom of the slippers with fabric paint. Gives good traction!

S.H said...

I made these slippers for Christmas for a couple of people, but to make them non-slip I also used leather. I had some scrap leather I bought years ago and sewed that to the bottom layer. Comfy and non-slippy!

Resweater said...

Mare, I have tried that too, on a pair I made for my grandma. I guess I needed a more durable solution for mine, since I wear them so much.

S.H., I think leather/suede is the way to go for durability! I found a sweater that is half suede, so I may be making more slippers soon!