Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It's Tutorial Tuesday! Ice scraper mitten!

I don't know about you, but we have got a lot of snow & ice lately, so I decided to make a mitten for my scraper, to keep my hand extra warm while i'm scraping my windshield. This is super easy & only takes minutes to make. Ready?

First you will need a felted wool sweater sleeve, cut across evenly.



Place your ice scraper handle in the center of the cut end, and cut around it, leaving a seam allowance and an smidge of space on the sides (I left about 1/2 inch all around).




From here, you can just sew up all the cut ends, or round off the corners (which I did), then sew


Kinda looks like a wool wine bottle, eh? Now just flip it right side out...


and push the long skinny part in with the handle of your ice scraper...



and you're done. Wasn't that easy? Now your hand will be nice & toasty while you scrape :).

6 comments:

Naomi @ Upcycled Creatively said...

This is a fantastic idea!

Resweater said...

Thanks! :)

Jody said...

Thank you! I actually had this idea earlier in the season, but couldn't quite figure out how to attach the sweater to the scrapper! Thanks for doing the thinking for me!!

TracyKM said...

I handknit and felted a couple ice scraper covers a few years ago, and while they turned out great, it was too challenging to figure out how big to make it so when it felted down, the opening wouldn't be too big.
I LOVE your idea better! And this wouldn't even really need to be done in a felted wool, those colourful '80s sweaters would look pretty awesome too!

Resweater said...

Thanks!

Can't Stop Stitchin said...

Thank you for this tutorial... off to felt some sweaters and stitch these up for Christmas.
Godspeed,
mary