Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Recycled wool menstral pads/mama cloth

At the risk of getting too "too much information" on you all, I had an idea for yet another great use for recycled wool. I have been using cloth menstral pads, also known as mama cloth, for years now. I would never go back to disposables again. In addition to environmental reasons, they are just way more comfortable. Mama cloth typically is made with absorbent materials on top, and a waterproof/water resistant layer on the bottom. I have see that bottom layer made of pul (laminated cloth), fleece, and wool. I have never seen anyone use recycled wool, but I think it would be fabulous for the bottom layer, especially if it was lanolized.... breathable, moisture resistant, bacteria resistant, and insulated. Now I am not saying that this is an original idea, but I have yet to see it, and a Google search came up with nothing. If I were a better sewer, i'd try to make some myself.

3 comments:

Nata-Leigh (Lubbock's Mom) said...

I've often thought about switching ... Still thinking.

And speaking of ... the verification word is mizeri ... misery ... ha!!!

Tara's Art Camp said...

I'm allergic to wool, that does not sound good to me at all!

Anonymous said...

I am a beginner sewing and have thought of playing with the idea of making mama pads, but I have not got to it yet. I have been having to much fun making pants for my baby. When I do I will let you know.