Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's Tutorial Tuesday! - Bum warming skirt



Someone emailed me a while back, asking if I sold bum warmers. I wasn't sure what that was, so she sent me a link to someone in Canada that made them (sorry, but I lost the link, or I would have posted it). The one she sent was like a band that went across the bum, but I thought it would be cute too, and more versatile, if it were more like a skirt, so I made this.

First, I cut the bottom of a felted sweater, the length I wanted the skirt to be. You can always take it in on the sides if it is too big. I didn't have this problem ;)



I then measured my waist, and cut 2 pieces of ribbing from another felted sweater, to create the waist. I cut the front a little shorter than I did the back, to accommodate my rear. I sewed them together on the sides.


Now just sew the 2 pieces together, cut ends to cut ends (so the existing finished edges of sweaters are on the top & bottom of your skirt), stretching your waist band a bit as you go, if it is smaller than the skirt part.

Here it is, front & back. It looks a little funny laying flat, but looks fine when it's on.

These look super cute with a pair of leggings, and definitely keep your bottom toasty warm! I may skip wearing these in public, since i'm a lot closer to 40 than 30, but these would be great for the girls & teens in your life.

ETA: I retract my "I may skip wearing these in public, since i'm a lot closer to 40 than 30, but these would be great for the girls & teens in your life" statement. I wore this with leggings & boots the other day, and it was a cute look! The boots made it work.

19 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

I made a felted sweater skirt too and wear it constantly! Mine's a bit longer though, heh. The link will be too long to post in here but if you click on my blog link the instructions are in the December 13 2010 entry.
http://procrastinationdiary.blogspot.com

Resweater said...

Mary, I like your skirt better than mine! Ok everyone, head over to Mary's blog, lol!

Dzintra said...

Your's is nice skirt too! and don't be afraid of wearing it, it looks so.. khmmm, may I say sexy?;D I'm 40 allready and still wearing all kinds of "boom-warmers" - such a nice word!! - over jeans etc. since we have pritty cold winters (falls and springs;) here in Latvia...
btw I'm big fan of resweater's blog, Kris! way you sew looks so simple, it inspires me much!

Mary Keenan said...

I'm with Dzintra - the stripes on yours are awesome and the construction frees you from waiting for sweaters with a folded hem. Plus, yes, I'm over 40 and haven't been pulled over for wearing mine, so you can definitely carry this off ;^)

Maggie said...

I like it!
These would be especially good in Minnesota. With all that time spent out sledding, skiing, snowshoeing, or going to winter parades (or appearing in parades!), bums get cold. And they take FOREVER to warm back up! A woolie butt like this would be perfect.

Resweater said...

Dzintra,
Thanks!! I think i'll try seeing what it looks like over jeans.

Mary, I think your style of skirt will be more suited for me. I may give it a shot this afternoon.

Maggie, We get cold bums here in Chicago too ;) This will be good when i'm hanging out with my son outside.

Jilly Lovett said...

I love it Kris! Now I know what to do with that gorgeous sweater I over felted. And let age be no barrier. I spotted a colleague at work today who is at least as old as me (er hum lets not go there but it's alot more than 40) in leggings and a t-shirt....

~Heather said...

I'm a bit more lazy with my bumwarmer skirt - Found a felted purple sweater (when held up to my waist, it looked about the right size), cut under the arms all the way across and voila - instant skirt!
I wear it over my leggings at home and at the beginning of my aerobic workouts when I'm still feeling the chill!

be said...

this is so great! i might just make one tonight!

jeanne said...

I think this is ADORABLE!! I'd wear it over leggings and a turtleneck and cardigan!! Very cute...and I'm a whole lot beyond 40...I'll be 52 this year...eeeeeek!!
Love love love your vintage selection and your IDEA's too!!

Crazy Mommy said...

Okay, so I'm right smack dab in the middle of 30 and 40 but I would still wear these in public!!! Sweater tights and tall boots-nothing cooler!!! ANd I'm a mother of 3.

Resweater said...

Ok, I take back my "i'm too old for this look" statement! I wore the skirt with leggings & boots, and it was such a cute look! The bonus is that my bum was warm ;)

Upcycler said...

I was so happy to read your retraction! I was thinking how much I want to make this for myself, but as I'm in my last year of my thirties I was worried, too, that I couldn't. Now, the decision is which sweater will I use...hmmmm.... As you can read in my blog, I've become overwhelmed by the sheer volume of sweaters I have collected!

www.thinkoutsidethesweater.blogspot.com

Curious Little Bird said...

Perhaps this is the link you saw on Etsy? She makes 'bum warmers' and she's in Canada...

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/shophoneybea

Resweater said...

That wasn't the one, but those are really cute!

Honeybea said...

hey ladies, cute blog! Glad to have found you after being directed here by one of our customers. We are Honeybea Designhive - creators of the Original Honeybea Bumwarmer TM. And yes, we are from Canada of course!

http://www.honeybea.ca
http://www.facebook.com/honeybeadesignhive
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shophoneybea

Stay warm! And always stay original :)

Unknown said...

Ladies, we are now into 2015. It is cold here in Ontario Canada. My bum is closer to the mid 40's than my age will ever be again. I wear leggings, skinny jeans both with boots (tall and short); and I wear my bum warmer with matching leg warmers (sleeves of same sweater, and beggar mitts (from shoulders front and back) sometimes called cuffs or fingerless gloves - good way to upcycle my sweaters since I am retired and nolonger need the same for work.

Anonymous said...

You are NOT too old to wear this in public. I am 50 and wear bum warmers and other short skirts with my leggings in public. Live only once!

Anonymous said...

I will be 60 this year and I would wear it!!