Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's What I've Been Working on Wednesday - cotton pocket diapers


I haven't made anything wool this week (gasp), but I did make more overnight cloth pullups for my son. Last week I had made one piece pullups, but those take a while to dry, so I got brave and attempted a pocket style. They are actually easier than the one piece style! The one on the left looks a little wavy/wonky, because I stretched as I sewed. Once I wash it that will go away & look like the one on the right. All you do differently than the one piece, is pull away the inside layer a few inches, in the back, when you are sewing on the waistband. You just slide an insert in, and you are good to go! You can make your own inserts, or you can even fold a prefold (old school cloth diaper) or even a clean microfiber cloth. The materials I used this time were soft, 100% cotton, mens thermal shirts that were super cheap at the thrift store.

ETA: I realized that I was using the term "all in one" to describe the other style I made, and changed that to say "one piece", because I realized the term "all in one" usually indicates that you don't need a cover. Both styles are 100% cotton, and require a cover (wool, plastic, fleece). My son wears wool pants, or longies, at night that double as a diaper cover.

6 comments:

scody said...

These look great! I really need to make some. They are so expensive to buy. Thanks for the reminder (and inspiration) that they can be handmade!

http://mamabubbles.blogspot.com

Resweater said...

Not only hand made, but recycled! :)

kris10dale said...

Kris, how do you keep them from leaking? My 6 year old wears Underjams at night, and goes through periods where they leak almost every night! I made him a wool cover (I think you linked to the same pattern I used), but sometimes, that even leaks. Just wondering if these thermal pocket pull-ups work well alone, of if you cover them. Thanks!

Resweater said...

Kris10dale, If you have enough absorbent layers, and a cover, you should not have any leaks. My son has been wearing cloth pullups & a wool cover to bed for over 3 years now, and has only leaked once... when Daddy forgot to put the pullup under the wool! You can't use wool without a diaper, or a diaper without a cover. Absorbent layers are needed to absorb the urine, and a plastic layer or wool is needed on the outside. If you bought pul fabric (laminated fabric) for the outside layer, you could make it all-in-one.

kris10dale said...

Thanks for the help. We've had 4 leaks just this week while just wearing the Underjams alone. I put him back in the wool cover last night, and his bed stayed dry. I'm wondering if the leaks are just because he's such a big boy. He's 4 and 1/2 feet tall and just turned 6. Bigger kid=bigger bladder?? The wool cover I made was kind of losse on his waist, so maybe that's why I still have leaks with it? I didn't cloth diaper, so I haven't had experience with this. I'm just looking for a solution so I don't have to wash sheets every day! Think I'll try making one a little smaller. It's stuff a bag day at the thrift store tomorrow, and I always find a couple of sweaters. :) Love your blog and all the great ideas you come up with!

TracyKM said...

Kris10dale---are you lanolizing the wool cover? That can make a huge difference. Most tutorials for lanolizing show newborn covers and a tiny amount of lanolin, but for a big kid (my daughter is 65lb), you'll need at least a teaspoon.
I might try making some pull ups like these too. I make a style that uses FOE and athletic jersey for the whole body, then another layer (flannel) over the wet zone (like how Pull Ups have absorbancy just in the wet zone). I make them pocket style, with the opening in the middle crotch.