Wednesday, March 9, 2011
It's What I've Been Working on Wednesday - cotton pocket diapers
I haven't made anything wool this week (gasp), but I did make more overnight cloth pullups for my son. Last week I had made one piece pullups, but those take a while to dry, so I got brave and attempted a pocket style. They are actually easier than the one piece style! The one on the left looks a little wavy/wonky, because I stretched as I sewed. Once I wash it that will go away & look like the one on the right. All you do differently than the one piece, is pull away the inside layer a few inches, in the back, when you are sewing on the waistband. You just slide an insert in, and you are good to go! You can make your own inserts, or you can even fold a prefold (old school cloth diaper) or even a clean microfiber cloth. The materials I used this time were soft, 100% cotton, mens thermal shirts that were super cheap at the thrift store.
ETA: I realized that I was using the term "all in one" to describe the other style I made, and changed that to say "one piece", because I realized the term "all in one" usually indicates that you don't need a cover. Both styles are 100% cotton, and require a cover (wool, plastic, fleece). My son wears wool pants, or longies, at night that double as a diaper cover.