Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's Tutorial Tuesday! No sew pincushions using scraps!

When I saw this great post on organizing glitter into salt shakers, after reading this great post on making canning jars into pincushions, my brain came up with these... shaker pincushions! :


I had quite a few more, and they were very beautiful assortment, but alas, they came to an untimely demise after a particularly lively game of hide & seek in our house (i'm embarrassed to say that it was my fault, and not my 5 year old son's). They are all stuffed tight with felted wool scraps. I read somewhere that wool makes a great stuffing for pincushions, because it is moisture wicking and won't cause you pins to rust, like some materials can. Sounds good to me!

Ready for the tutorial, which i'm sure you've figured out by now? Take wool scraps, tightly stuff them in a shaker, place a circle of wool the size of the inside of the cap on top, and screw the cap on. Done!



My husband said "you can only put so many pins in, though" (always the pessimist, tsk, tsk, tsk). True, but with all the shakers I have, they have holes big enough to hold at least 2 pins per hole. I like the idea of having the amount of pins per hole on the shaker, because you will know if you are missing a pin! Though i've never lost one (knocking on wood), my son is always worried i'm going to lose one one day & he'll step on it. If you always keep one per hole, they are always accounted for.

9 comments:

teekaroo said...

Very cute!

SUE said...

I love it! Very Creative!

Molly said...

I stepped on one as a teenager. Found it by the tiny silver dot on the bottom of my foot. Eww! Good way to keep track of your pins.

Resweater said...

Thanks!

Molly, OUCH!

Tina said...

totally awesome. And a great way to use all those little pieces I hate to throw away but don't know what to do with (other then stuff dog beds).

Janda said...

This was worth waiting for! Great idea, especially for pincushion fanatics like me :-].
Thanks!

Resweater said...

Thanks! :)

Juana said...

Great!! Very useful and safe if you have toddlers around!

Resweater said...

Yes, not great for those who want to be able to randomly stick pins in, but great for those of us trying to keep track of the pins!