Friday, January 2, 2009

More homemade Christmas goodies!





Ok, ok, this has nothing to do with recycled wool, but it's homemade, and i'm proud of it, so in my blog it goes! For Christmas I gave my friends & family cleaning supplies that I made. I ordered pretty colored glass bottles back in October, printed the labels on my computer, and made little recipe books to go with each kit, so the recipients can make their own refills! They are natural, good for the environment, good for children, and cheaper than commercial products. I have been making, and using, my own cleaning products & love it.
My computer needs to be fixed right now, so I can't access any of my documents at the moment, but found where I posted them on Artfire (good thing I shared!):
"These recipes were all found online, in different forums. Most of the ingredients are natural, better for you, and better for the environment, while being much cheaper than commercial products. Where do you find these wacky ingredients??? The are the places I have found them [these are places local to me & may vary in your area]:
Borax: Ace Hardware, Meijer
Baking Soda: everywhere!
Washing Soda: Meijer (in the laundry detergent aisle)

Glycerin: Meijer, but from my understanding it's in most drug stores
Tea tree oil/
essental oils: health food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods
Rubbing Alcahol: everywhere!

vinegar: everywhere!

liquid castile soap: health food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods
castile bar soap: Meijer, health food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods

Aloe Vera Gel: health food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, drug stores



~ Homemade Hand Sanitizer ~
Ingredients:

1 cup 100% aloe vera gel
1 teaspoon rubbing alcohol

2 teaspoons glycerin

6-8 drops eucalyptus or tea tree essential oil

Blend well and store in a clean jar or bottle. Use as you would any store-bought sanitizer.



~ All Purpose Cleaner ~
4 tbsp white vinegar

2 tsp Borax

up to 1/4 cup liquid castile soap

3-4 cups hot water
mix vinegar & Borax. Add water. Shake to dissolve Borax. Add the liquid castile soap.




~ Homemade Natural Laundry Detergent, Dry ~
3 cups Borax

2 cups Baking Soda
2 cups Washing Soda

2 cups castile Bar soap, grated (I personally use, & like, Kirk’s Hardwater Castile)

* Mix all ingredients well and store in a sealed tub.
*
Use 1/8 cup of powder per full load.



~ Homemade Dishwasher Soap ~
One part Washing Soda, one part Borax

*Pour distilled white vinegar into the dispenser for rinse agent.



~ Homemade Foamy Soap Refill ~
one part liquid castile soap, ten parts water
*add desired essential oils for scented (I use 5-10 drops of lavender/tea tree in mine)
"

I should add a link for the laundry soap. The recipe I posted is the one I use, but there were 10 recipes for different ones, as well as questions & answers about them:

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

This is a favorite site of mine, because I love to clean with vinegar:
http://www.vinegartips.com/


2 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

hi kris!
your new store is wonderful. i am sending all of my friends to you. thank you for your nice comment about melaine's bears. she loved the sweaters i got from you. she felted them that day and is making bears as we speak.
:) melissa

Unknown said...

This is awesome thanks! You should look up Soap Nuts. I am going to try them soon. I have a friend who uses them and says they work great. Not good for cloth diapers but other than that she likes them. I wonder if there is a good alternative for the dishwasher?