Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hat & longies


With my husband laid off, I don't necessarily have more time because I have more work to do, but at least I have more time to do things uninterrupted, like sewing, while he hangs out with our son. I thought I didn't enjoy sewing that much, but now that i've experienced uninterrupted sewing i'm loving it! I am sure a few moms out there are nodding their heads knowingly right now. My son needed a pair or 2 of longies (and really didn't even need those), so I made 5 pairs. Oops! I've discovered that I enjoy making them & i'm not too bad at it. I'm thinking of making some to sell in my shop. What do you think... honestly (I can handle constructive criticism)? The last pair I made is the style i've decided I like best. I made these from a thick moss green cashmere sweater. It was so thick that I probably didn't even need the extra wet zone, but I always like to add it for added protection, since he only wears them at night. They are so cozy that after modeling them for me he didn't want to take them off!

I also made a hat today. I started it off with a merino sleeve, like the easy baby hats tutorial I featured a while back, and tied a knot in the top. I sewed on a piece of ribbed waistband, added 2 half circles (lined with cashmere) for the ear flaps, and some braided scraps dangling for a fun nordic ski look. I have limited sewing skills, and this took me about 15 minutes start to finish. Easy peasy! I wish I would have taken pictures of the process, but I think you get the idea.

6 comments:

Nata-Leigh (Lubbock's Mom) said...

I am a fan of anything you do :) ... I think you've mentioned before that the seams are on the outside for comfort, right? Anyway ... count on some orders here!

Resweater said...

Thanks Nata-Leigh :)
Yes, seams on the outside for comfort, but I kinda like the way it looks too. I may do some both ways, since some people may not like that look.

It's just Raven said...

This is really adorable. I love "flap hats" and think I'll go dig in the sweater stash and see if I can find anything that will make a "Rae Size" flappy hat!

Resweater said...

Thanks Rae! I have good luck finding big sizes in men's merino sweaters. Jack's hat can actually fit me... a little snug for my taste, but it fits!
He refused to wear it to preschool this morning, which about broke my heart, but i'll get over it. He wants a monster truck on it. *rolling my eyes*

The Little Miss said...

Im in love with your etsy and your blog is WONDERFUL!

If you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
Xo
Priscila

Victoria Velting said...

The hat is so cute! ear flaps - yes! I like how you braided the "ties".